Black & Veatch teams provide expertise in every technology, including transmission and substations, high voltage direct current, renewables interconnection, smart grid applications and voltage and VAR (voltage ampere reactive) support.
From concept to full engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) services, Black & Veatch delivers advanced transmission solutions safely, on time and on budget. Our professionals help clients navigate NERC and FERC requirements (North American Electric Reliability Corporation and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission). They lead industry safety initiatives and actively participate in the major industry associations. We also leverage strong procurement and self-perform construction capabilities.
Our professionals bring clarity to complexity. They plan and specify:
- Protection and control infrastructure.
- Voltage regulation equipment.
- SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) upgrades.
- AMI (advanced metering infrastructure).
- Smart meter infrastructure.
We develop and deploy all types of substations and related facilities. Our projects involve traditional air-insulated substations as well as advanced technologies, including gas-insulated systems. We also offer expertise in SVC (static VAR compensation), capacitor bank and HVDC (high voltage direct current) systems.
Our substation experience includes:
- Switching stations
- Distribution substations
- Generation interconnections
- HVDC facilities
Our teams use innovative approaches to provide planning, routing and construction solutions for transmission lines. We find ways to avoid or minimize environmental impact, ensure reliability, and meet our clients’ cost, schedule and performance expectations. Examples include the following:
- New and upgraded transmission lines on new or existing right-of-way.
- Upgrades or re-rating of existing transmission lines.
- Installation of optical shield wires and aerial communication cables.
- NERC alert data collection, analysis and correction.
Utilities face pressures to find cost-effective ways to provide underground power transmission. Congested city streets and environmentally sensitive areas pose real challenges. Our professionals know what it takes to minimize costs and ensure safety and reliability.
Contact us to learn more about what we can do for you.