Black & Veatch provides services to study advanced water treatment options
Black & Veatch and Zhongying Precious Metal Company Ltd., are investigating advanced technologies that would provide sustainable options for two new wastewater treatment plants. The plants will treat domestic and industrial waste at a new industrial park in the Lunggang District of Shenzhen. One treatment option under investigation would provide for potential water reuse applications.
The owners of the new industrial park, Zhongying Precious Metal Company Ltd., want the plants to produce effluent that meets Chinese National Discharge Standard Class 1A. Meeting Class 1A requires additional treatment to reduce nutrients and suspended solids and is the standard required for wastewater being discharged into sensitive water bodies.
“Black & Veatch has a strong track record in advanced technologies and a long history of working in the China water industry,” said Mr Xue Chu Liang, Managing Director of Zhongying Precious Metal Company Ltd. “As we are going to build a world class and sustainable jewellery industrial park, it is important for us to use a company with international expertise that could help us determine the best sustainable solution.”
The industrial park will cover an area of 12 hectares and will centralize the design and production of precious metal jewellery. Housing these design and production activities in the park will help increase exports to international markets and also reduce pollution. The Shenzhen Government has been actively supporting the development of high tech industries in the area.
“Black & Veatch has worked on a number of advanced wastewater treatment plants around the world,” said Alan Man, Vice President and Managing Director of North Asia Pacific. “Recycled water is increasingly being used as a solution to improve sustainability and overcome water scarcity issues.”
“Recycled water is increasingly being used as a solution to improve sustainability and overcome water scarcity issues.”
Alan Man | Vice President and Managing Director of North Asia Pacific
- The park will build two wastewater treatment plants, one to treat domestic waste that will have a capacity of 9,000 cubic metres per day. The other will treat industrial waste with a capacity of 2,000 cubic metres per day.
- Black & Veatch will provide engineering design and equipment procurement services for the domestic wastewater treatment plant and civil and structural design for the industrial wastewater treatment plant. In addition the company will also provide specialist advice on the procurement, testing and commissioning of the plant.
- Black & Veatch is investigating Membrane Bioreactor (MBR)/Integrated Fixed-film Activated Sludge (IFAS) technology. MBR/IFAS systems are well suited to some industrial and commercial applications and the high-quality effluent produced makes them a good solution for water reuse applications and for surface water discharge applications that require extensive nutrient removal.
- MBR/IFAS technology can be designed for and operated in small spaces and has a high removal efficiency of nitrogen, phosphorous, bacteria, biological chemical oxygen demand, and total suspended solids.
- Summary of Class 1A Discharge Standards: BOD 10 mg/l, SS 10 mg/l, Total-P 0.5 mg/l, Total-N 15 mg/l
- The project is expected to be completed by December 2010.
About Zhongying Precious Metals Co. Ltd
Zhongying Precious Metals Co. Ltd (Zhongying) was founded in November 2004 with a registered capital amounting to RMB 100 million. It is a privately contributed firm jointly owned by the three largest jewelry dealers in Shenzhen and firms in the Shenzhen building industry. Zhongying has business lines in industrial investment, processing and selling of jewelry, building and owning jewelry processing factories and developing jewelry production centers.
About Black & Veatch: Black & Veatch is an employee-owned engineering, procurement, consulting and construction company with a more than 100-year track record of innovation in sustainable infrastructure. Since 1915, we have helped our clients improve the lives of people in over 100 countries through consulting, engineering, construction, operations and program management. Our revenues in 2018 were US$3.5 billion. Follow us on www.bv.com and in social media.
Media Contact Information:
KEITH MORRISON | +65 6738-4022 ext 313 P | +65 9114-8347 M | MorrisonKW@BV.com
24-HOUR MEDIA HOTLINE | +1 866-496-9149