STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) education equips young people with the critical reasoning skills necessary to solve the energy, water and communications problems of the future.
STEM education is more important than ever, given an estimated $40 trillion is needed for global infrastructure solutions over the next 30 years. Black & Veatch continues its longstanding commitment to students through the growSTEM initiative.
- We partner with the KC STEM Alliance to promote STEM education and help support Project Lead the Way. Black & Veatch provides mentors and speakers, and our professionals participate on advisory boards.
- Black & Veatch supports STEM studies with Major League Soccer franchise Sporting Kansas City. The partnership supports summer camps for middle school students with appearances by Sporting Kansas City players, stadium tours, and help from Black & Veatch mentors and engineering experts.
- The Black & Veatch MakerSpace at the Johnson County Central Resource Library includes free access to 3-D printers, a robotics kit, a soldering and electronics workbench, equipment for audio and video recording and editing, and specially trained librarians to help guide visitors.
- As the Museum at Prairiefire’s Global STEM Partner, Black & Veatch and the museum create opportunities for interactive, STEM-based experiences. The partnership creates awareness of global career paths in engineering and science.
- We're a member of WISE, which enables and energises people to increase the participation, contribution and success of women in the UK’s STEM workforce, from classroom to boardroom.
- Black & Veatch participates in Future City, a project-based learning experience for middle school students. We mentor FIRST Robotics teams, helping students compete in an international high school robotics contest that fosters project management and communication skills.
- Explorer Post, a program sponsored by Black & Veatch as part of Learning for Life of Kansas City, exposes high school students to various engineering disciplines. Check out the registration application and activity schedule.
- Black & Veatch teams with KCPT Channel 19’s education department to provide STEM mentoring sessions to fifth graders in Kansas City-area elementary schools.