Our professionals design and build ways to enhance security and extend the life of nuclear power plants. We also participate in the deployment of Generation III and the development of Generation IV nuclear power technologies.
Our nuclear power teams provide planning, engineering and construction services. They guide clients in selecting the right technology, moving forward with regulatory approvals, and ensuring safe, reliable, and timely project completion.
Black & Veatch is helping secure nuclear energy’s global future. We are committed to assisting our clients in building a thriving nuclear power industry. We develop viable solutions to meet cost, regulatory, security and post-Fukushima-requirements. We assign the highest priority to public safety.
With years of experience in a variety of reactor technologies, we are able to give clients an edge in selecting the best technology. We also are one of the few U.S.-based global engineering companies actively involved in the design and construction of an advanced nuclear facility.
Several projects demonstrate Black & Veatch’s leadership:
- Completion of the final stages of nuclear island design and procurement for a two-unit Advanced Boiling Water Reactor (ABWR) facility.
- Design certification for passive safety technologies, the Economic Simplified Boiling Water Reactor (ESBWR) and the Advanced Pressurized Water Reactor (APWR).
- New-build and existing facilities, including power uprates for operating units.
- Owner’s engineer roles for existing and new facilities.
- Seismic, flood protection and coping analyses.
We promote excellence in plant operation through the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations (INPO), Nuclear Electric Institute (NEI) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). In addition, we completed two Combined Operating License Applications (COLAs). We maintain close contact with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to ensure that our clients' facilities comply with requirements.