Company expands engineering and construction services in multiple regions in response to growing client demands for innovation, investment
Black & Veatch, a leading provider of design-build power delivery services, is expanding its staff of power delivery experts to help clients maximize reliability and resilience in the grid. Through additions to its local and regional presence in critical markets, the company is adding staff to its 14 regional offices as highlighted by expansions in Boston and Chicago as well as a new opening in Wilmington, Delaware.
The company’s commitment to expanded service comes amid a growing focus on the state of the nation’s transmission infrastructure, as utilities work to modernize transmission and distribution (T&D) systems to build resilience and accommodate growing demand for renewable power. Across the nation, clients are saying reliability and resilience are critical issues for the power industry. According to Black & Veatch’s 2017 Strategic Directions: Electric Industry Report survey, 60 percent of survey respondents named reliability and aging infrastructure as the major drivers of transmission investments.
The influx of renewable energy is also driving significant investment in T&D, with close to half of utilities planning to add a substantial amount of renewable energy generation (44 percent solar photovoltaic; 43 percent wind turbine) to their systems in the next five years. As a result, investments are rising sharply as utilities actively reallocate capital expenditure (CAPEX) away from new generation assets and toward transmission and distribution and renewables.
“Expanding our team of power delivery experts allows Black & Veatch to continue to deliver unparalleled expertise and innovative solutions for some of the largest utilities around the country," said Scott Dicks, Vice President and Project Director for Black & Veatch’s power business. “Our strategic growth in these critical markets enables us to deliver vital power delivery infrastructure and resources to clients and communities where resilience and delivery of sustainable power are at a premium.”
The company’s power business, which provides comprehensive planning through construction and commissioning services of electric transmission and distribution, is growing steadily and is uniquely positioned to deliver on challenging T&D projects:
- Black & Veatch has been awarded major infrastructure projects with Potomac Electric Power Company (PEPCO) on their Capital Grid and White Flint Substation Projects. These gas-insulated substation projects will help provide upgraded infrastructure at critical locations throughout Maryland and Washington, D.C., while also bolstering service to Exelon Corporation customers in these areas.
- The Boston office provided engineering, design and construction management on a number of high-profile transmission line and substation projects in the Greater Boston area, and also served as an engineer on the nation’s first offshore wind project.
- Black & Veatch opened a new power delivery office in its Wilmington, Delaware location. Designed to meet growing client demand for power delivery services on the East Coast, the office will support local and regional power projects for Exelon Corporation’s East Coast utilities, including Atlantic City Electric, Delmarva, Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BG&E), Peco and PEPCO.
- Black & Veatch marks the 60th anniversary of its operations in Orlando, Florida this month. The Orlando office opened in 1958 with six professionals; today, the office employs more than 70. Orlando team members provide design, procurement and construction services for power delivery, water and telecommunications projects in the southeastern United States and around the country. Clients include Duke Energy, the Orlando Utilities Commission (OUC), and the Kissimmee Utility Authority (KUA).
- Black & Veatch is celebrating the five-year anniversary of its power delivery operations in the Boston area, with plans to expand its staff to more than 40 professionals by the end of 2018. Black & Veatch's Boston team members provide project management, construction management, overhead transmission, underground transmission and substation engineering services for local and regional clients such as Avangrid, National Grid, Eversource and Vermont Electric, among others.
- Black & Veatch’s Westmont (Chicago) office opened in 2016 and has near-term plans to expand to 20 professionals. This office serves Midwest clients, including Exelon.
Black & Veatch Media Contact Information:
MELINA VISSAT | +1 303-256-4065 P | +1 617-595-8009 | VissatM@BV.com
24-HOUR MEDIA HOTLINE | +1 866-496-9149
About Black & Veatch
Black & Veatch is an employee-owned, global leader in building critical human infrastructure in Energy, Water, Telecommunications and Government Services. Since 1915, we have helped our clients improve the lives of people in over 100 countries through consulting, engineering, construction, operations and program management. Our revenues in 2018 were US$3.5 billion. Follow us on social media.