News & Events
Demand for Network Infrastructure Drives Black & Veatch to Top Ranking
Wireless services, smart technologies propel Telecom business; Energy and water services among Engineering News-Record industry leaders
Black & Veatch achieved the top ranking worldwide in telecommunications for U.S.-based engineering companies, according to the just-released Engineering News-Record (ENR) Top 500 Design Firms report. This is the seventh time in eight years that Black & Veatch has earned the number one ranking in telecommunications.
The company also recorded a second ranking in power, fifth in water and eighth in sewer/wastewater. Black & Veatch is ranked 15th overall on the Top 500 list and 13th in the Top 50 Designers in International Markets list.
“Growth across our telecommunications business reflects widespread demand for more capable mobile networks as video and smart applications consume greater levels of bandwidth. Black & Veatch is strongly positioned to provide the solutions that will support increasingly connected communities as they transform the way people live, work and play. We are very optimistic that expanding infrastructure needs in the world’s developed and developing countries will propel our business for years to come."
Steve Edwards, Chairman and CEO
Black & Veatch projects in 2016 included:
- Floating LNG: The world’s first floating natural gas liquefaction unit successfully completed performance testing. Black & Veatch provided engineering and procurement of the topsides equipment as well as the company’s patented PRICO® LNG liquefaction technology.
- Wastewater treatment: Black & Veatch is delivering engineering, procurement and construction services to help upgrade and expand Western Australia’s largest wastewater treatment plant. The plant will be capable of treating 47 million gallons a day and serves 900,000 people.
- Natural gas power: Largest natural gas power station in South America is under construction in Brazil. Black & Veatch is owner’s engineer for the 1,516 megawatt combined cycle project that will help address growing electricity demand and supplement hydropower supplies.
- Global chemical licensing: Black & Veatch has a licensing agreement with Casale SA to address worldwide demand for chemical, fertilizer and industrial plant development. This provides a one-stop engineering, procurement and construction solution for clients.
- Government projects: A Black & Veatch joint venture is designing and constructing an energy security microgrid at the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California. The microgrid includes renewable energy resources, advanced smart grid control systems and demand response capabilities.
- India wastewater: Black & Veatch is helping to develop India’s largest wastewater treatment facility. The facility in Mumbai will be capable of treating 223 million gallons daily and will alleviate coastal pollution and enhance water reuse.
- Waste to energy: Owner’s engineer for a renewable energy facility that supports sustainability and waste management efforts in South Africa. The plant will produce clean burning natural gas and divert 500 tons of municipal waste a day from a landfill to the facility for generation fuel.
- Gas power station: Engineering, procurement and construction services for a new power station in Pennsylvania. The combined cycle plant will be capable of providing enough energy to serve the energy needs of 925,000 homes. The Marcellus and Utica gas shale fields near the plant site will be a primary generation fuel resource.
- Water desalination: Black & Veatch is delivering major water desalination projects in Hong Kong and Singapore. The two plants are key to both cities’ water resiliency efforts and will establish new design and energy benchmarks for treatment plants in the future.
- Energy demand response: Black & Veatch provided a demand response and energy resource solution that supports additional distributed energy resource deployment and cost savings.
- The demand for Black & Veatch’s services is being met by approximately 10,000 experts who are delivering engineering, construction, procurement, consulting and technology solutions.
- ENR is an industry publication of BNP Media. ENR provides news, analysis, commentary and data that construction industry professionals use to do their jobs more effectively. It has been published since 1917.
- The Top 500 Rankings are based on revenues within the individual business lines.
About Black & Veatch
Black & Veatch is an employee-owned, global leader in building critical human infrastructure in Energy, Water, Telecommunications and Government Services. Since 1915, we have helped our clients improve the lives of people in over 100 countries through consulting, engineering, construction, operations and program management. Our revenues in 2016 were US$3.2 billion. Follow us at www.bv.com and on social media.